The further development of the JUICE CHARGER me isn’t just perfect in terms of its design, it is also exceptionally stable and waterproof
Juice Technology AG, the manufacturer of charging stations and software and leader in mobile charging stations for electric vehicles, has unveiled a further development of its popular JUICE CHARGER me wallbox and won the Red Dot Award.
The JUICE CHARGER me e-vehicle charging station combines ease of use with future-proof technology, and has therefore enjoyed considerable popularity ever since its launch in 2021. The naming of the JUICE CHARGER me by the well-known comparison portal Vergleich.org as a price-performance winner at the start of the year from a representative range of 11-kW chargers also clearly demonstrates that inexpensive chargers don’t have to make compromises when it comes to equipment, functionality and design.
Full protection against moisture and dirt
Juice has now launched the further development of the charger on the market, and is taking the wallbox to a new level of safety. With the IP67 protection class, the charging station offers full resistance to dust and water. This increases its durability in outdoor use, and ensures the personal safety of those responsible for its upkeep.
Good design is more than just an elegant appearance
The Juice Design Centre developed the tried-and-tested, reduced design language of the JUICE CHARGER me. The soft edges allow for a new haptic experience. The replaceable front panel allows for individual motifs and custom branding.
The sophisticated architecture of the casing, with a new interior box, reduces the installation time to less than three minutes – whether the feed line is mounted on-wall, in-wall or the charger is mounted on a column in the case of wall mounting. All the connecting cables, such as the mains cable, charging cable and any Ethernet cables are connected on a tamper-proof basis.
Christoph Erni, CEO and founder of Juice Technology AG emphasises: “This device is self-explanatory and electrician-proof. We gave it to a hundred installers without any instructions, and they all succeeded in installing it and putting it into operation exceptionally quickly and without making any mistakes. It is easy to operate and the station does not require any maintenance. That makes it great fun and also saves money.”
The device can be configured as an 11 or 22-kW version, and the 11-kW version can be upgraded to 22 kW for free using software. The hardware is configured for this in every version at no extra cost. Independently of this, the JUICE CHARGER me 3 can be also ordered with a directly readable, MID-compliant (calibrated) counter, and as a further option with a built-in FI/LS (fault current/line circuit breaker). This enables the precise, consumption-based billing of the charging current and the straightforward, cost-effective integration into power distribution systems. The communication with the JUICE-EXO backend and device updates take place either “over the air” with wifi or on a terrestrial basis with Ethernet.
Pioneering functions such as the automatic triggering of the charging process with “Plug and Charge” (according to ISO 15118) as an alternative to activation via RFID card and standard load management for up to 250 units are also included in the new version, and make the wallbox easy to operate, easy to upgrade and above all else, future-proof.
Red Dot Award: Product Design 2022
The JUICE CHARGER me 3 convinced the independent Red Dot Jury before its market launch. After an in-depth assessment, a group of 48 design experts certified the device to be of outstanding design quality and presented it with the Red Dot Award. On the basis of a unanimous opinion, companies that are presented with the award set new standards in the area of design.
Dr. Peter Zec, Initiator und CEO von Red Dot zur diesjährigen Auszeichnung: „In diesem Wettbewerbsjahr ist mir besonders die ausgeprägte Kreativität aufgefallen, von der die ausgezeichneten Produkte zeugen. Dass es immer noch Gestaltungen gibt, die in Form und Funktionalität überraschen, ist wirklich beeindruckend und lobenswert. Somit wird deutlich, dass Design sich nicht von ungünstigen Umständen einschränken lässt oder gar stagniert. Ganz im Gegenteil: Immer neue Ideen und Kreationen entstehen und futuristisch anmutende Techniken werden entwickelt. Dass die Qualität dieser Produkte dem Innovationsgrad ebenbürtig ist, macht sie zu wohlverdienten Siegern im Red Dot Award: Product Design 2022.“
However, Juice CEO Christoph Erni also points out that good design comes as no coincidence: “Externally, our products have to be as clear and reduced as possible – so nothing else can be left out. That’s what beauty is. Inside, however, they should be so complete and pioneering that it isn’t necessary to add anything. That’s what technical perfection is.”
Key advantages of the JUICE CHARGER me 3 at a glance:
- Small format: With an edge length of 28 cm and a depth of 12.5 cm, the JUICE CHARGER me 3 is particularly compact, and with a weight of just 6.5 kg (including cable), it is also very light. A 5-m cable ensures the necessary flexibility.
- Charging capacity: One to three-phase charging at six to 32 amps provides a charging capacity of up to 22 kW. The ex-works standard version with a power output of 11 kW can be upgraded to 22 kW with software.
- Plug and Play: The wallbox is completely pre-configured ex-works and ready for immediate use.
- Plug and Charge: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 already supports ISO 15118. When connected to the charging socket, the charging station detects any registered vehicle that has the Plug-and-Charge standard and starts the charging immediately.
- Charging and load management: Local dynamic charging management in master-slave mode is incorporated for up to 250 charging stations free of charge.
- Equipped for public spaces: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 is optionally available with MID-certified (calibrated) counter and the choice of a built-in FI/LS (fault current/line circuit breaker) – prepared for direct connection with bus-bars or flat ribbon cables.
- Connectivity: The standardised open charge point protocol (OCPP 1.5/1.6) provides the basis for the connection to the JUICE EXO (or backend and building management systems from external service providers), and enables device management, remote maintenance, billing or load management. Three standardised interfaces (Modbus/TCP, Modbus/RTU and EEBUS) ensure the communication with a home energy management system. This allows for the integration of the photovoltaic system into the home energy management as well as external load management control. The external communication takes place via either the Ethernet connection (LAN, RJ45) or the integrated wifi receiver. However, no permanent network connection is required for use as a private single charging station, so operation is also possible without a LAN connection. In this case, a notebook can simply be connected for updates.
- Well thought-out and safe design: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 has a front which is made from scratch-resistant, internally-printed acrylic glass (PMMA). The shell of the outer casing and the base of the inner casing are made from a composite plastic consisting of polycarbonate (PC) and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS). ABS is characterised by its good impact-, scratch- and abrasion-resistance as well as its resistance to oil and grease. The composite is exceptionally stable, fire retardant and certified as UV-resistant. The transparent cover of the inner casing is made from impact-resistant polycarbonate (PC). The base and cover are screwed together and form a tightly-sealed system. The charger is therefore protected against the penetration of dirt and moisture according to IP67 and highly shock-resistant according to IK10, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The device can be used at outside temperatures of between -30 °C and +50 °C. Its temperature sensor for the reduction of the charging current operates regardless of the ambient temperature. The charging station is CE-compliant in accordance with the two EMC Directives, IEC 61851 and IEC 61439-7.
- Installation: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 can be attached to the wall as a wallbox – as an on-wall or in-wall installation (with feed line from the rear). As the entire electronics are accommodated on a rear plate and are therefore independent of the casing, it is possible for the charging station to be mounted rotated by 180° and to connect it to a feed line from above. The device can also be installed on a column either individually or in pairs, though.
- Activation: An RFID reader (MIRFARE Classic/Desfire) is integrated behind the front panel. The RFID activation is for all vehicles which do not support the ISO 15118 standard for ‘Plug and Charge’. The two pre-programmed cards supplied can easily be blocked and replaced in the event of loss. Alternatively, existing RFID badges (from access or canteen systems, for example) can be read in and authorised at the customer’s premises.
- Price: JUICE CHARGER me 3 in basic configuration: CHF/EUR 1199.,-; with MID counter 1499.-; with MID counter and FI/LS 2142,- / column: CHF/EUR 499.- / replacement glass: CHF/EUR 49.-; Front Glass Juice Style line: from CHF/EUR 59.-. All prices include VAT.
Please see www.juice.world
You can find more information about the app at www.juice.world/app
About Juice Technology
Juice Technology AG, headquartered in the town of Bachenbülach (near Zurich Airport, Switzerland), is a globally active producer of charging solutions for electric vehicles. The company’s comprehensive product portfolio, featuring AC and DC charging stations ranging from lightweight mobile devices to large fast chargers, makes it one of the very few full-range vendors in the industry. Juice has dominated the market for mobile 22-kW charging stations since 2014.
The consistent, end-to-end software orientation decisively distinguishes Juice from other solutions available on the market. All Juice devices displaying the “j+” marking are based on the same processor and firmware, making them all mutually compatible with one another. By utilising uniform, consistent software architecture, Juice saves an immense amount of time, effort and cost. Solutions such as omni-dynamic load management, payment by credit card and the open-interface backend are thus all available to the entire product range.
The Juice Group enjoys worldwide presence with its own locations, subsidiaries and partner companies, The Juice corporate group includes Juice Services AG, Juice Telemetrics AG, the German firm Juice Europe GmbH headquartered in Munich, Juice UK and Ireland Ltd, based in London, Juice Nordics AB in Uppsala, Juice Iberia S.L. in Málaga, Juice France SAS in Paris, Zhejiang Juice Technology Co., Ltd in Hangzhou, China, and Juice Americas Inc. in the U.S. State of Delaware. The Group also has a global network of resellers. All told, the company today employees a workforce of over 200 people active in research and development, production, marketing, administration, purchasing, sales and logistics.
Communication & Public Relations
Juice Technology AG
+41-41 510 02 19 or +49-800 3400 600